Ah, fabric, thread, beautiful colors and patterns! The art quilt is my way to express the joy I feel observing creation. My medium is fabric and thread. Fibers add a texture depth to my art.
Since 2005 I have been making “art” quilts that resemble paintings. I find this to be filled with challenges and rewards. I have sewn clothes since childhood and now spend most of my sewing time making quilted art. Using photography as inspiration and various techniques, I make quilted fine art scenes. My style is to quilt my art on my home sewing machine. I have done portraits as well as many landscapes.
All I have to do is see a beautiful scene or view a picture and all of a sudden the quilting bug bites and I’m off on a new adventure. My husband is the photographer who shoots most of the scenes for my work.
Outside of the quilt arena, I’m a wife, mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother. I enjoy my family very much. Music is also a big part of my life. I enjoy playing piano for our church and leading the choir. I feel very blessed by the talents and opportunities that have been given to me.
I grew up on the north coast of California married Gary Durbin. In 1970 we moved to Kansas City, MO to attend seminary. We lived in that area for 7 years before returning home. My adult life has been spent being a pastor’s wife, mother, and grandmother. I have worked outside the home when there were no small children in my life. My church life has consisted of playing piano, leading choir, and working in the women’s ministries. God has blessed me in many ways. Now that I no longer work outside the home, I have more time to explore my art. It has been a very exciting adventure.
- American Quilter’s Society Show in Paducah, KY—2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- American Quilter’s Society Show in Nashville, TN—2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- American Quilter’s Society, Knoxville TN, 2010, 2011
- American Quilter’s Society, Grand Rapids, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- International Quilt Festival in Houston, TX—2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016
- Denver National Quilt Festival, Denver, CO—2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2013
- Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival, Hampton, VA—2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2013
- Pacific International, Santa Clara, CA—2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Pennsylvania National Quilt Festival, Harrisburg, PN—2005, 2009
- Humboldt County Arts Council Member’s annual show—2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2016
- Road to California, Ontario, CA—2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Quilt Odyssey, Hershey, PN-2009, 2014, 2015
- MQX, Portland, 2013, 2014
Redwood Art Assn.
- National Quilt Museum
- Studio Art Quilt Associates
- The Quilt Show
- The American Quilter’s Society, Paducah, KY
- International Quilt Association
- Humboldt Arts Council
- Redwood Empire Quilt Guild